e.l.f. Studio Cream Eyeliner Review *EDITED* to add the Black!

11 October 2011

I must say, I really like the e.l.f. Studio line. There are only a few products I'm not fond of, but all things considered, the bulk of the line is very nice AND it's cheap. Almost everything is $3 and some things are $6, but they're usually worth it. I almost don't want to type out this review because it's going to be kind of biased. Why? I only own two colors and they're both light and shimmery. As such, I don't own the black and I don't think these shimmery liners are any good as liners. So, this review in a nutshell - these don't show up and aren't thick enough to build up much color. But I've heard that the black one is pretty damn good! So who knows, maybe I'll drag my happy ass to Target and pick it up. Mission success! I purchased the black one and I REALLY like it. I like these as bases but, yeah...

Onwards, my friends.



e.l.f. is pretty succinct w/ this particular description:

The cream formula creates smooth lines that are defined and precise. Smudge-proof, budge-proof and water-resistant coverage for all day wear to combat against sweat, tears or rain! Achieve thin or bold lines with ease. Slanted Eyeliner Brush included."


The brush that comes w/ this liner is okay. I find that the teeny little brushes that come w/ the liners are typically hard to use, just due to their size. This is a bit on the thick side, so if you like a super thin line, you're better off getting your own brush to apply this w/.


Out of all of the cream liners I've tried, these have the thinnest consistency. While that's nice in the sense of not being thick, clumpy, and dry, that's bad in the sense of it being hard to build up the color on these. The shimmery white one is especially sheer. I was actually super disappointed by the white one, because I was hoping that it would be matte, but no avail. The gray shimmery liner is way more opaque than the white, but it's still not fantastic. It doesn't fade, but I think that's due to the fact that it applies as though it's already faded.

These two liners weren't as long lasting as I hoped but here's the thing - I think it's because of the shimmer factor. I've heard nothing but good things about the black liner and I really want to try that. These make decent shadow bases because they're thin, like a cream shadow. I noticed smudging w/ the gray liner. The white one barely showed up, despite the numerous layers I packed on. I am inclined to be disappointed in the shimmery liners, but I'm waiting to pass judgment on these liners as a whole until I can get my hands on the black liner and maybe even the brown, for good measure.

So look out for that addition w/in the week, hopefully! :)


"Ivory".


"Gunmetal".



EDITED TO ADD THE BLACK LINER



OKAY, so I ran out to Target and picked up the black cream liner and, guess what...? I love this stuff. I think I might like it better than the Wet N Wild cream liner, which is next on my list of gel/cream liners to review. It's rich and creamy and very pigmented. I'm guessing it's because the black liner has a matte finish to it, instead of a shimmery one like the previous two liners. It goes on smoothly and lasts FOREVER. The other amazing part is that when I removed my false lashes, this stuff didn't come off w/ the glue. Now that is SERIOUS liner...I'm sure anyone who has worn false lashes has experienced this before; you peel your lashes off and the liner comes w/ it!

Since I was having such an issue w/ my lashes, I started to tear up a bit and this stuff stuck around. It lasted about three hours on my waterline and I (do as I say, not as I do, and wash your face before you go to bed!) passed out w/ my makeup on. When I woke up, my shadow was long gone, the pillow was covered in foundation stains (ewwwww!), but this liner was still on my face. So, yeah, I'm holy frickin' impressed w/ the black liner!




This swatch was pretty fast and I just tapped my finger into the pot, I didn't rub or anything and that was the payoff I got! Pretty fantastic, really!


So, as of right now, I don't recommend either of these colors. But as for the liners as a whole, well, that's still undecided. :/Okay, so my new verdict is that the ones w/ shimmer suck. They have a really thin consistency, the color payoff is so-so, and they're hard to build up. It might be that, since they added shimmer, it took away from the formula a bit. Or, maybe I just don't like shimmery things and I'm actually biased. *shrug* The black one is amazing. It's very black and the formula is rich and creamy. So check out the black (the brown one, I think it's called "Coffee", is also a matte texture, so it'll probably be good as well!) but unless you need a shimmery eyeshadow base, I would pass on the other two.
 

Followers

Blogger news

Follow Girl, Uninterrupted

Most Reading