Covergirl Ready, Set, Gorgeous Summer 2014 FIRST IMPRESSIONS/REVIEW

10 May 2014

Okay, so a few days ago I had posted a new CG products haul post (you can find that here if you're interested) and three of the new products were new face products. Now, unfortunately, I don't have good news, personally. I've heard horror stories about CG's Clean makeup, which can break people out like crazy. I've also read that some people have bad reactions to ALL Covergirl makeup. One of my favorite foundations is the Outlast Stay Fabulous liquid foundation. I wore it six days a week for three months, with no wonky reactions.

I do not have acne-prone skin. I get a pimple every couple of months, maybe. There has only been one other product that has ever had this bad of an effect on my non-sensitive skin, and that was a serum-moisturizer from Garnier. I mentioned in the haul post that I thought I was having a reaction to the concealer, because I developed six pimples only on my undereye area...yeah, no.

The way these products work is similar to Maybelline's Fit Me line; you select your liquid foundation shade and from there you can pick out the corresponding powder and concealer. My shade in the foundation is "215 Warm Beige" and my shade in both the powder and concealer is "Medium", which is for shades 215 and 220.

Okay, let's get this party started. WARNING: this post is photo-heavy and there is A LOT of text. And contains a lot of pics of my derpy-ass face. I apologize in advance. (I'm adding page anchors, so you can skip to whichever part you're interested in.) And, yeah, I will never switch to contacts. Just...no.

FTC Disclaimer: Everything mentioned in this post was purchased by me, with my own money. I am not compensated for this review, I am not affiliated with Covergirl or Proctor & Gamble, and all opinions are, as always, my own.


Concealer - Powder Foundation - Liquid Foundation - Application Photos

Covergirl STILL has NO information on their website about any of these products, so this post is literally just going by what the packaging says. And, unfortunately, I won't be able to do an actual full review, because I'm never putting any of these things on my face again, but I have used the liquid foundation for 10 days straight, the concealer for a week, and the powder about five times, so I do have a pretty good idea on how these products function, and hopefully I can give you a decent enough idea. I'm sorry I won't be able to do a full comprehensive review, but these products have made me break out EVERYWHERE.


But first let me take a selfie...I don't know how well this picture shows, but you can definitely tell my forehead and in between my brows has a texture right now. Also, the left side of my face has some spots. The undereye pimples have cleared up a lot, but you can still see some bumps in real life. Yeah, I don't like having these spots everywhere.

Again, no info on Covergirl's website, so here's what the packaging states:

Helps conceal dark circles and imperfections in an instant! The lightweight formula glides on smoothly, blends easily, and lasts all day.

  • Oil free
  • Won't clog pores
  • Dermatologically tested"

Okay, so basically I feel like the concealer is just repackaged Fresh Complexion concealer; the packaging is the same except for the color, the consistency is identical, and this has the same amount of coverage - hardly any at all. The only difference is that I used that concealer in middle school and I don't remember it having this type of reaction with my skin! I have never gotten zits under my lashline before trying this concealer.

The texture is nice; not super liquid-y to the point where it's not blendable and just goes streaky, and not so sticky or creamy that it doesn't set up. If you don't have a ton of dark circles or blemishes to cover up, I think this could work for you. I, however, have crazy undereye circles (being Asian, especially since I have monolids, my face is pretty flat and my eyes don't recede as far into their sockets...which means I shouldn't have as much shadowing under my eyes as I do!) and this isn't going to cut it for me. Also, it's not corrective; it's a plain skintone, which makes it versatile for use all over the face at least. This concealer has a standard doe-foot applicator and it's just basic.

I would pass on this, even if it didn't break me out. It does claim to be oil-free! I don't think it lives up to its claim of perfecting imperfections, however. It was $7.99 at Walgreens, on an endcap display and I want to say there were maybe six shades total.

Ingredients



Water/eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Propylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Talc, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Sodium Chloride, PVP, Laureth-7, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Trihydroxystearin, Arachidyl Behenate, Methylparaben, Methicone, Propylparaben, Silica, Ethylene/Methacrylate Copolymer, Synthetic Wax, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Hexyl Laurate, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10 Dimethicone, Ethylene Brassylate, Behenic Acid, Polyethylene, Aluminum Hydroxide, Stearic Acid. May contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides.


As you can see, this concealer contains dimethicone/methicone, parabens, silica, AND talc, so if you like to stay away from these ingredients, this concealer is most decidedly NOT FOR YOU. This concealer does not contain an SPF.

-

Back to the top.

As with the concealer, there is no mention of this on CG's website yet, so here's what the packaging claims:

Powder foundation covers like a liquid makeup to help even skin tone for a natural look. Extra-fine oil-absorbing powders control shine.

  • Oil free
  • Won't clog pores"

As with the concealer, I think this is repackaged Fresh Complexion Pocket Powder; the container is identical, besides the color. This is really not the best powder. It's not as finely milled, creamy, and smooth as the Milani The Multitasker powder or the Revlon Nearly Naked powder, not by a long-shot. It doesn't feel gritty but it does feel a little dry and dusty, which I'm not a fan of.

I also wouldn't use this to set makeup. It does actually have a pretty decent coverage to it and can look incredibly cakey when used over a foundation, especially since the liquid foundation has really decent coverage itself.

Overall, I'm not too impressed. Drugstore brands like Revlon and Milani have come out with powders that feel smooth and creamy and have some coverage to them that could compare to high-end products, and this powder doesn't even come close to THEM, let alone a powder like MAC's MSF Natural. Also, you can see flecks of filler/glitter chunks (not sure which) in there, which is a total makeup turn-off for me.

This looks a bit heavy and mask-like when used as a setting powder and it has a definite matte finish that becomes flat when used in that fashion. On its own, if you moisturize and exfoliate well and have combo/oily skin, this could work for you. Even with the chunks, it doesn't appear shimmery; it's just a flat matte finish, so you might actually dig this product on its own! I want to say this powder came in about six shades and was $8.99 at Walgreens in an end-cap display.

Ingredients



Talc, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Mica, Dimethicone, Maltodextrin, Calcium Silicate, Nylon-12, Zinc Stearate, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Silica, Methicone, Methylparaben, Lauroyl Lysine, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Propylparaben, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Quarternium-15. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Bismuth Oxychloride, Iron Oxides, Ultramarines.


As with the concealer, this contains talc, silica, dimethicone/methicone, and parabens, so you will want to stay away if you don't like to use these ingredients. ALSO, this contains mica as the third ingredient, and that can be a skin irritant and allergen to people. This powder foundation contains no SPF.








Back to the top.

Not a peep about this foundation on CG's website, so according to the tube:

Fresh complexion. One simple step for a flawless, natural look that lasts all day. The formula blends easily to even skin tone and reduces shine all day.

  • Oil free
  • Won't clog pores
  • Suitable for sensitive skin
  • Lasts all day"

This foundation contains the typical 30 mL of product, pretty standard for a liquid foundation, and it was $9.99 at Walgreens. I found mine in an end-cap display. It comes in a decent range of shades, but many of the options seemed to lean more on the warm/yellowy side, and it didn't go incredibly deep, from what I recall. It comes in a squeeze tube, which I like; a pump would have been better, but this works as well! It has a natural matte finish; you won't look flat but there's no major sheen or glow, and the coverage is light/medium and very buildable.

Okay, this part of the post hurts. I REALLY wish this product didn't wreak havoc on my skin because I frickin' LOVE this foundation. I've used the Real Techniques sponge, which is my preferred method of application (it looks BEAUTIFUL with this sponge!), the Expert Face Brush (this foundation is a bit more of a thin, gel-like texture, so using this brush didn't apply it as nicely as I would have liked; there was noticeable streaking!),The MAC 187 stippling brush (this foundation sets to an almost liquid-to-powder sort of finish and a stippling brush didn't apply it fast enough to blend out the product well enough!), and my hands. If you can't use a Beauty Blender or the Real Techniques sponge, using your hands is probably one of the better methods.

The coverage on this is pretty nice. It covers up the redness around my nose and along my jawline. It helps lighten my dark circles (but you will still need concealer under your eyes if you have crazy undereye circles) and even out your skintone. It's also buildable, I've been able to apply two layers and it doesn't diminish the smooth appearance nor does it start looking unnatural or cakey. It sets fast to an almost powdery finish and has a natural matte look on the skin.

I love this foundation. But I can't handle the pimples everywhere! I am so bummed that this stuff broke me out so bad! :( One thing to note is that it does dry down a bit lighter than you might expect. I would make sure you can return open products because what looks like an exact match might actual set a bit lighter. I didn't have this issue with the concealer nor the powder foundation, but I went a bit darker with the foundation, since I'll start getting tanner soon, and it actually sets a tiny bit lighter than my skin. I didn't experience any oxidation, however. I mentioned above that I didn't like using the powder to set this; my favorite thing is the NYX "Set It & Don't Fret It" Mineral Setting Powder.

I think if you have dry skin, this might not be the best for you, it does set to a somewhat drier powdery feel and it's not hydrating. The finish looks great, in sunlight, in dim light, in camera flash. This doesn't contain an SPF, so this would be a great photo-friendly foundation as well, because there's no bounce-back. Blends beautifully with a sponge or your fingers and it lasts pretty well, even if you don't use a primer. I could have used a blot sheet touch-up about five hours into wearing this, but it actually wasn't a dire need. This foundation didn't look as fresh 8+ hours into wearing, but it didn't look bad either.

Do I think it's the best for oil control? Maybe not the best, but it's one of the better foundations I've tried and has a lightweight feel, unlike Revlon Colorstay. It won't be quite as long-wearing as those, but I actually like this a tiny bit better than the Covergirl Outlast Stay Fabulous liquid makeup, which I also really like.

Ingredients



Water/eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Propylene Glycol, Talc, Dimethicone, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Sodium Chloride, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, PVP, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylene/Methacrylate Copolymer, Trihydroxystearin, Arachidyl Behenate, Methicone, Silica, Sodium Benzoate, Synthetic Wax, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Hexyl Laurate, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Ethylene Brassylate, Behenic Acid, Polyethylene. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides.

This has talc, dimethicone/methicone, silica, and alcohol, so if these ingredients don't tickle your pickle, this foundation will not be for you. It also has no SPF, so if you rely on your base product as your main source of sun protection, you're either going to have to apply a sun protection product underneath or avoid this foundation.

-

Back to the top.


Bare skin VS finished face comparison.

Okay, now onto a ton of application photospam! Heads up; I was playing around with some new lip products from the Flower Beauty line and didn't realize how streaky they looked! And I'm too lazy to redo these photos, so I apologize for my gross mouth in the finished photos, and my derp-face in all of the photos without glasses, haha.

But first lemme take a selfie.

(Bare Skin. Top is in natural light with no flash. Bottom is with flash.)





Okay, moving on!



One layer of liquid foundation on my right side (your left) and bare skin on my left side (your right).


Two layers of liquid foundation on my right side (your left) and bare skin on my left side (your right).


Two layers of liquid foundation on my right side (your left), bare skin on the left side (your right), and concealer under both eyes.


Two layers of liquid foundation on my right side (your left) and one layer of powder foundation on my left side (your right). Concealer under both eyes.

Finished face!







Liquid side.


Powder side.

Alright, hope this was helpful! Again, I wish these products didn't break me out so bad because I absolutely love the liquid foundation. Yeah, and sorry for the super long post, if you made it through this entire thing, you win all of the internets!!

Back to the top.

 

Followers

Blogger news

Follow Girl, Uninterrupted

Most Reading