Covergirl Lipslicks Smoochies in #smooch REVIEW

07 May 2014

I was pretty tardy to the party, as far as these Covergirl Lipslicks Smoochies go. I had read/watched a few reviews and everyone seemed pretty down on these; the biggest complaint seemed to be that these had a lack of pigmentation. And if you've been around on my blog for a while, you know one of my biggest pet peeves is when a balm claims to be tinted and then isn't. So basically, I wasn't interested in trying these. Now, I used to have a couple of the CG old school Lipslicks, and I remembered liking those alright. Finally, curiosity killed the Kate and a makeup haul brought her back.

I do have two shades in this, but I couldn't find the other one, so I'll review the individual shade on my Tumblr when I locate it, but since buying those two, I've purchased a few more, and there's not a wide change in the formula, so this is going to be a stand alone review. These widely vary in price for me, they're about $4.99 or so at Walmart and $7.99 at Walgreens, so YMMV for sure. The only difference is that Walgreens has sales and coupons and their Wellness card or whatnot, so you can actually get rewards and stuff for purchasing them there. Also, CG often goes on those BOGO50 sales.

I'm not typically a huge CG fan in the slightest, but lately they've been impressing me with their face products and some of their lip and nail products, so who knows. Eye product-wise...eh, their shadows are not my favorite, but you usually can't go wrong with Lash Blast mascara.



The shade I have in this is called "265 #smooch" and it's a warm light pink. It's a teeny bit brighter than a nude-pink, but still pretty natural. According to Covergirl's website:

Glide on sheer color and keep lips moisturized with our fabulously flirty Smoochies lip balm. Collect all 12 shades — because one smooch is never enough!

  • Twelve fun shades — collect them all
  • Contains essential lip conditioners
  • Sheer color and a hint of shine"


Ingredients



Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil Lanolin Oil Polybutene Lanolin Petrolatum Ozokerite Oleyl Alcohol Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax/Cire De Candelilla Ethylhexyl Hydroxystearate Cetyl Acetate Paraffin Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter Cetyl Alcohol Fragrance/Parfum Glyceryl Oleate Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil Acetylated Lanolin Alcohol Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract Ascorbyl Palmitate 12-Hexanediol Caprylyl Glycol Propylene Glycol Tocopheryl Acetate *Some Shades Also Contain/Certaines Teintes Contiennent Aussi Synthetic Fluorphlogopite May Contain/Peut Contenir: Mica Titanium Dioxide Yellow 5 Lake Red 6 Lake Iron Oxides Bismuth Oxychloride Red 7 Lake Red 27 Lake Blue 1 Lake Carmine.

Overall, I like this product okay. At least, I like the pigmentation and the texture better than the Maybelline Baby Lips (I know, SCANDALOUS). They're slightly thicker feeling and more balmy, whereas the Baby Lips are thin and greasy and I think that's why the pigmentation of the Smoochies is a bit stronger and applies more evenly. That being said, they're still not SUPER hydrating to me. These coat the lips and feel nice while they're on, but once they wear off my lips don't feel more moisturized OR more dry (so there is that) and the wear time isn't the greatest. They'll definitely wear off slower than the Maybelline, but I'd say a couple hours tops, if you're not eating or drinking.

This particular shade, and one other one I have, has chunky silver glitter in it and I DO NOT LIKE THAT. This color is really pretty and goes on evenly and smoothly, or it would if the glitter wasn't actually gritty. You can actually feel it and see the texture on the balm and I'm not crazy about that. The ones without glitter are much smoother and feel better on. I guess if you had really dry lips you could use the glittery ones as a light exfoliator??


So, yes, I would repurchase (and have gotten several new shades since picking this one up), yes, I think the pigmentation is actually pretty decent, better than people were making it sound, I like these better than the Maybelline Baby Lips, but I would not repurchase this particular shade, or any of the other Smoochies with chunky glitter because I'm not about that life.

Swatch time? SWATCH TIME. The swatch on the left is three passes to build up the color, the swatch on the right is one swipe.





 

Followers

Blogger news

Follow Girl, Uninterrupted

Most Reading