Revlon® ColorBurst™ Lip Butter Review

28 November 2011

So, this is another one of those tinted lip balm reviews that I love to do, but this is a good review, I swear. I feel like a lot of the reviews I do aren't so great. I dunno, I think only reviewing products you love is strange. If you have a legit reason for not liking a product, you should share it w/ everyone, yes?

Who knows? Anyway, this review is pretty exciting because not only are these products cool, cheap, and drugstore but...*drumroll* they're also NOT LE or special edition. Which means in a year, this review should still be relevant, haha. :)



Let's start out w/ Revlon's description:

Buttery Balm + Shiny Color with beautiful shiny color to give you baby soft, healthy glowing lips. 94% of women felt lips were softer, smoother, and instantly hydrated.

- Hydrating mango, shea and coconut butter formula boosts lip moisture by 156%.
- Pampering gel formula provides super charged hydration and glides on lips buttery smooth.
- Sheer to medium color with buttery shine.
- Available in 20 luscious shades.

Okay. So these do feel really nice on the lips. I have the most stubborn mouth on the face of the planet - in the winter, my lips get so incredibly chapped that even straight Aquaphor doesn't help. I usually end up having to suffer through it until spring when they stop being so finicky. That being said, these feel nice on my lips. I wouldn't say they're the BEST lip balms ever but they are buttery feeling. I've noticed that they don't really sink into my lips. Whereas some thicker balms actually sink in, these sit on top of my lips. This creates a nice barrier and while it's on, it feels nice, but they aren't super long lasting either.

You know how you can still feel some lip balms on your mouth even when the product seems mostly gone? Not the case w/ these. When they wear off, they wear off completely. While they're on, however, they feel great. This brings us to the second thing - some of them are REALLY pigmented. In my swatches, the flash made the color look more washed out but the red one? It looks like a shiny, moisturizing lipstick. This is great because if you've read my other tinted lip balm reviews, I want them to be REALLY tinted and these definitely deliver color POW.

However, since these can be so pigmented, applying them on the go isn't the easiest process. They can get a tiny bit messy, since there is both color payoff but also a slip to these. They're not greasy feeling, but they definitely have a glossy slip to them and combine that w/ the intense colors that some of these have, and you'll want to carry a pocket mirror! That being said, you can blot these for a bit less color and shine.

For some people, this is going to be a turn off. These are packaged and labelled as a tinted lip balm but you're actually getting a very glossy and moisturizing lipstick. For those who want just a hint of color, you might want to stay away. Maybelline makes a tinted balm that packs a little less punch than these and that could be a good alternative.

These come in 20 shades, which is really frickin' cool. They're also supposed to be part of the permanent line, which means even if you can't find them NOW, you should be able to soon. W/ all the awesome LE stuff coming out for holidays, having a nice product come out and be permanent is really cool. These say they're sheer to medium coverage and I would agree w/ the medium part. You could apply these less intense or blot them, but for the most part, they aren't really that sheer. Since these have such a thick texture, I don't know that I'd want to put a gloss over these. I'm sure you could, but I'm one of those people who hates the feeling of lip products on my mouth, so I'd personally pass on applying a gloss over these but I don't see why you couldn't, if you wanted to. These are pretty shiny on their own already.

The brighter and darker shades are very pigmented, especially "Candy Apple" and "Lollipop". And if you've ever tried a Glaze or Luster finish lipstick from MAC, you'll get this next part - some of the lighter shades don't go on quite as smooth as the darker or brighter ones do. "Strawberry Shortcake" and "Gumdrop" require a little bit extra care because the pigment can start to pool in the lines of your lips and look a bit streaky. Also, since these are pretty pigmented, the lighter shades can border on "slightly unwearable" territory.

Packaging-wise, they're very similar to the ColorBurst™ lipsticks, w/ the quilted pattern on the caps. But the lip butters have color corresponding caps instead of the matte black casing. And also, these are supposed to be unscented. And, for the most part, they are. But at times I smell a faint vanilla scent. So if you have these, tell me in the comments if I'm crazy, because I swear I can sometimes smell vanilla and then other times, there is no scent at all. Who knows?

That being said, I like all of the shades I purchased but I don't think I'll be getting any more colors. You only really need a couple of pinks and neutrals before it starts getting a bit redundant. I do recommend checking these out if they're something that interests you because the feel is nice and the pigmentation is really incredible for a product that is supposed to be a sheer tint. These are ranked from favorites to least favorites. The first three are "I will repurchase when gone" and the last three are "I'll think about it" type products.

"Gumdrop"

- This is my favorite color. It's a lilac-y color and even though it can be harder to work w/, it's pretty sweet. I got it because it looked vaguely like "Lavender Whip" from MAC. They're not the same, but I just like these super light purple colors for lips because I'm strange.



"Tutti Fruitti"

- Okay, so after lilacs and lavenders, I like oranges. Not peaches or apricots...no, straight up orange. "Neon Orange" from MAC is my BABY. I also like Revlon's Super Lustrous in "Siren" (I think that's the color!) This is the much more wearable version of those. It's more glossy and sheer and a little less in your face but it's still pretty pigmented. I love this color!



"Lollipop"

- I love bright colors. Obviously, when you look at the one before this color. This is a hot fuchsia and it has a shimmer to it. But it also seems to have a bluish tint, depending on the light. This is one of those super pigmented colors that you'll want a mirror for because it packs a lot of punch. I really like this color. Plus, the blue tones can make your teeth look whiter!



"Candy Apple"

- This is exactly what it sounds like: a bright, candy red. I like it a lot and it's super in your face bright, but it's not the most practical because it comes off like a lipstick, except the texture is more slippery, so this can do funky things around your lip lines and you can't easily apply it on the go. I like the Covergirl Nature Luxe red glossbalm a bit better because the color is a tiny bit more watery and sheer and it's a bit more user friendly, haha. I don't wanna have to wear lip liner and stuff w/ a bloody lip balm, ya know. That being said, the color is EPICAL and I'll probably repurchase this anyway! :)



"Crème Brulee"

- This is in the same vein as "Strawberry Shortcake"...the texture is lovely: thick and smooth feeling, but it's the same glossy texture that makes the pigmentation a bit streaky and pool in fine lines. I like it for what it is and I normally love nudes, but this is just a bit hard to work w/.



"Strawberry Shortcake"

- This is my least favorite out of the six I have. It's a pretty standard baby pink...and that's a color that isn't really up my alley, ya know? Plus, it's the chalkiest on my skintone and it also tends to collect in my lip lines. It's not horrible and you CAN work w/ it, it's just I like the other ones better, haha.



Finally, here are hand swatches.





From L-R: "Crème Brulee", "Gumdrop", "Strawberry Shortcake", "Lollipop", "Tutti Fruitti", and "Candy Apple".
 

Followers

Blogger news

Follow Girl, Uninterrupted

Most Reading