Yves Saint Laurent Volume Effet Faux Cils Mascara - REVIEW (Influenster)

18 March 2015

It has been a long time since I've gotten an Influenster box and BOY AM I EXCITED that it was this particular box. I've tried the YSL Faux Cils mascara before and it was a beautiful mascara...or it would have been if it didn't flake like crazy on me. That being said, this is a reformulated version and I was excited to be able to try it! Mascara is a tricky thing, and it's not my favorite product to review because it's so personal; even if you have the EXACT SAME LASH TYPE as me, you can still end up hating a mascara I absolutely love. It's actually ten times more difficult when you consider that this is a $32 mascara...and that's hella expensive. Add in the fact that I got it for testing purposes and this post is pretty challenging.

I've done many posts involving Influenster before, and I will link to them below. Basically, when you sign up, you can pick badges of interest and do activities within those badges. When Influenster has a program relating to your interests, you can receive products free of charge to test and review. It's social media based, so you will have the best luck if you have the full spectrum of social media (FB, Twitter, IG, Vine, YT, a blog, etc.) I've done a mini intro post here.


FTC DISCLAIMER: I received this product through the Influenster program for testing and reviewing purposes. I am not affiliated with Yves Saint Laurent and this post is unsponsored, nor am I receiving compensation, beyond the product to try. All opinions are, as always, honest and my own.

Also, before you click the jump, this post does contain wonky close-ups of my eye, so if those kinds of things make you uncomfortable, don't proceed!






According to YSL's website:

NEW improved formula does not dry out. The best gets even better, the original false lash effect mascara, now with an all new Lash Care formula. Achieve absolute dramatic lashes in a single stroke for eyes that instantly pop. Its secret is the Triple-Intensity Formula: intense volume, intense color and now intense care. The nylon fiber brush coats each lash in deep color and maximum volume from root to tip, while B5 Pro-Vitamin strengthens and protects lashes. Available in 6 signature YSL shades to compliment eye color or to create a customized look."

-


Ingredients


AQUA (WATER) . PARAFFIN . STEARIC ACID . CERA CARNAUBA . TRIETHANOLAMINE . CERA ALBA (BEESWAX) . C10-30 CHOLESTEROL/LANOSTEROL ESTERS . NYLON-12 . STEARYL STEARATE . PHENOXYETHANOL . HYDROXYETHYLCELLULOSE . EUPHORBIA CERIFERA (CANDELILLA) WAX . DIMETHICONE . PARFUM (FRAGRANCE) . TITANIUM DIOXIDE . TOCOPHERYL ACETATE . METHYLPARABEN . ADIPIC ACID/DIETHYLENE GLYCOL/GLYCERIN CROSSPOLYMER . PANTHENOL . VP/ EICOSENE COPOLYMER . BEHENIC ACID . SORBITAN STEARATE . PEG-40 STEARATE . ALGAE EXTRACT . ALOE BARBADENSIS LEAF JUICE . BUTYLPARABEN . ETHYLPARABEN . ISOBUTYLPARABEN . PROPYLPARABEN . [+/- MAY CONTAIN : CI 77007 (ULTRAMARINES) . CI 77499 (IRON OXIDE) . CI 75470 (CARMINE) . CI 77491 (IRON OXIDE) . CI 77019 (MICA) . CI 77742 (MANGANESE VIOLET) . CI 77891 (TITANIUM DIOXIDE) . CI 77492 (IRON OXIDE) . CALCIUM SODIUM BOROSILICATE . CI 19140 (YELLOW 5 LAKE) . CI 42090 (BLUE 1 LAKE) . CI 77000 (ALUMINUM POWDER) . CI 77163 (BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE) . CI 77289 (CHROMIUM HYDROXIDE GREEN) . CI 77510 (FERRIC FERROCYANIDE) . CI 77288 (CHROMIUM OXIDE GREENS) . SILICA . “3YY07-1“ . ]

Before I actually talk about this mascara, let's chat about my lash type and what I look for in a mascara. I have those typical short, stick-straight Asian lashes. My lashes don't hold a curl, even with waterproof mascara, and frankly, I don't bother with curling my lashes anymore because they will always fall. I'm greedy; I like volume AND length. I want it all, basically.

This formula HAS been improved. Faux Cils used to smudge like crazy on me and flake underneath my eyes but this formula doesn't do that at all. It wears until I take it off (the longest I've had it on for is about 28 hours) and it comes off easily, which is always appreciated. It's a standard black, it's not going to look insanely midnight black but it also doesn't look gray. It adds a bit of length and a bit of volume, which I like. After three coats, it will start to clump, but I feel like the majority of mascaras will do that. Personally, I quite enjoy this mascara. It actually helps to lift my lashes and provides a bit of curling action! It has a slightly drier formula, which is the kind that I, personally, prefer. The brush head is pretty standard, which I actually ALSO like. It's normal bristles and easy to work with, not too large or small and it doesn't have a crazy shape.

That being said, is it worth the $32 and would I repurchase? Yes and no. Is it worth the money? I can't really say because it depends on the individual's budget and the amount they're willing to pay. I like this product. I think it works well and I enjoy using it. That being said, I wouldn't pay this much for this particular product. But if you have the budget and you like YSL or want a bit of glamour, GO FOR IT! The tube is weighty and luxe while being simplistic. Even though I personally would not purchase this mascara, it is not a bad mascara; it's quite good actually.

There are a few drugstore mascaras that perform similarly on my lashes. L'Oreal Voluminous, once the formula dries down a bit, is pretty spot-on, and the Carbon Black shade is crazy dark. The Almay One Coat Get Up & Grow is also similar in effect, while being a third of the price. This mascara gets two thumbs up from me, in terms of the product, but I think the price tag is steep if you're just in the market for a workable mascara and not in the market for a luxury product.







My right eye (your left) has mascara on; my left eye (your right) is product-free.


Mascara-ed lashes.


Bare lashes.
 

Followers

Blogger news

Follow Girl, Uninterrupted

Most Reading