L’Oréal Infallible® Pro-Spray & Set Makeup Extender Setting Spray REVIEW

11 December 2014

Let's talk about a most exciting release! I'm sure everyone has heard of the UD All Nighter setting spray by now, and certainly the Skindinavia sprays! But here's a setting spray from the drugstore that is actually effective! From the Infallible line by L’Oréal, this spray contains 3.4 oz and retails for $16.99, but if you live in the midwest near a Meijer, I found mine at Meijer for $13.99 AND on a BOGO50% sale! Definitely check places like grocery stores such as Meijer or Walmart instead of Walgreens or CVS because you will probably find it for a bit cheaper! Also, this is a fairly new release, which means the price will probably drop as the product is out on the shelves for longer.

e.l.f. Cosmetics makes a Studio product called Mist and Set, and if this product works for you, that's AWESOME because this particular spray is only $3 and you can frequently get e.l.f. products for 50% off! Unfortunately, this spray doesn't prolong the wear of my makeup, plus it contains parabens (Methylparaben,Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, and Butylparaben, to be exact) so this isn't an option for me.

I'm hoping that, as this product is out on the shelves longer, they begin to bring out different formulations of this setting spray because, REVIEW SPOILER, I am in love with this product! BUT I have dry, flaky skin in the winter and insanely greasy and sweaty skin in the summer months and the All Nighter doesn't work so hot for me during that period so I'm not positive as to how well this spray will fare in those conditions. I HAVE worn it during hot and sweaty truck unloading shifts and it has held up beautifully during those, so fingers crossed. I would love if they came out with an oil control formula though!



According to L'Oréal's website:

Locks in makeup for a “just applied” makeup look all day.
Lightweight mist, barely there feel.
Dermatologist tested. Non-comedogenic.

Keep your makeup looking fresh hours after application: no melting, fading or touch-ups necessary. This lightweight, oil free setting spray locks in your total makeup look, Face, Eyes, and Lips, preventing color from smudging or settling into fine lines for all-day staying power."


Ingredients List

Aqua/Water/Eau, Alcohol Denat., PVP, Dimethicone PEG-7 Phosphate, Phenoxyethanol, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Isononyl Isononanoate, PPG-3 Benzyl Ether Myristate, Poloxamer 407, Potassium Sorbate, Ethylhexyl Isononanoate, Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Aloe Barbadensis/Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Limonene, Parfum/Fragrance.

I have worn this spray for varying times; as short as five hours and as long as 30 hours. This spray lasted brilliantly for about 26 hours before I started looking a bit rough around the edges. My eye makeup (which I didn't set) was one of the first things to head south. The skin around my nose and between my eyebrows (the two spots I seem to touch the most) started to get patchy and dry looking at the 26 hour marker but my cheeks and forehead were still going strong! This spray doesn't give a time length, so that doesn't really matter but my makeup stayed fresh throughout two complete Black Friday shifts at both Macy's AND Ulta and I was definitely sweating!

I've used this makeup extender with many different types of base products, from the Bare Minerals Original foundation, the new Maybelline Fit Me Matte + Poreless foundation, the Flower BB Cream, Bare Skin, the L'Oréal BB Cream from their skincare range, and others. It held up fantastic each time. I also tried using this without a primer and it still seemed to lengthen the wear time I could achieve with products that would normally fade much faster.

This is not a refresher spray, nor does it have any hydrating properties, at least not on my skin. When I spray this over my makeup, if my face is looking powdery, it STILL looks powdery post-spray (to reduce the powdery look, I use something like MAC Fix + or the Mario Badescu rose facial spray to refresh and add a bit of hydration). I don't feel it on my skin once it dries. It doesn't really leave a film or a sticky feeling on the skin, which is definitely nice. The spray is average. It's not as fine of a mist as the UD spray. It's not the worst spray, however. You won't get actually droplets of liquid on your face and it is still an even mist. I find more than two sprays does make my face feel wet.

Overall, if you're looking for a decent setting spray that's a bit cheaper and easy to get ahold of, I think this is a fantastic option. (Maybelline is owned by L'Oréal, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a spray from them, since that line tends to be more inexpensive than its parent company.)


This is the beginning of my day, using the new Maybelline Fit Me Matte + Poreless foundation and pressed powder, complete with mascara smudges on my glasses, wow.


This is nine hours later, after working a six hour shift and going grocery shopping. And those mascara smudges on my glasses still, I'm clearly on top of things. No touch-ups with blotting sheets or powder!

EXTRAS!



That being said, if you have super oily or super dry skin, it might be worth it to invest in the Urban Decay/Skindinavia sprays, which come in different formulations specifically targeted towards those types of skin. From UD, you can get the De-Slick spray, which I LOVE and recommend for summer or super oily skin. They also have the Chill spray, which is hydrating and has a cooling sensation to it.

Also, the Skindinavia sprays come in two sizes; 4 oz for $29 and 8 oz for $39, which is about 0.21 oz per dollar if you purchase the 8 oz size. (The 4 oz size equals about 0.14 oz per dollar.) The L'Oréal one, if you can only find it for $16.99, is about 0.20 oz per dollar. Yes, the initial cost is, obviously, more. But if you feel like you might need more than a good basic setting spray and need it to have additional functions for your skin, this might be something to look into. The larger size will last forever (I have the large oil control spray from Urban Decay and the large size of the Bridal spray from Skindinavia (which is sweat-proof and tear-proof...this is GOOD, hardcore stuff!) Skindinavia says you can get about 180 days out of a large bottle but I can get about eight months out of it. As far as the L'Oréal one goes, I've used it daily (one or two sprays per use) for a month now and it's about 1/4 gone.

Another thing to note is that UD specifically mentions that their spray is vegan, so this is probably a better choice for those who prefer cruelty-free products. I'm not sure whether the L'Oréal spray is vegan, but they're not a cruelty-free company.

The ingredients of the L'Oréal spray and the Urban Decay All Nighter spray are nearly identical. L'Oréal added limonene, which is derived from citrus peels (it causes this spray to smell like the citrus flavor of NOS energy drink, at least to me...it's a bit strange but not offensive.) Urban Decay/Skindinavia (the UD ones are manufactured by Skindinavia) add additional ingredients such as caprylyl glycol (humectant and stabilizer), sodium hydroxide (pH adjuster; helps to stabilize the product), methyl methacrylate crosspolymer (film former and absorbs excess sebum), n, 2, 3-trimethyl-2-isopropyl butanamide (cooling agent), and glycereth-5 lactate (emulsifier).
 

Followers

Blogger news

Follow Girl, Uninterrupted

Most Reading