L'Oréal Magic Skin Beautifier B.B. Cream in "Light" REVIEW

04 September 2012

This is a going to be a review on a product that I imagine a lot of people are interested in. This is the L'Oréal Magic Skin Beautifier B.B. Cream, which is the B.B. Cream that can be found in the actual makeup displays. I know that they've also come out w/ at least one other type, but that one is stocked w/ the rest of L'Oréal's skincare line, and not w/ the makeup.

I would like to preface this review by saying that, while I am interested in trying out Asian BB Creams, I have not had the opportunity to do so, so I cannot compare the two w/ experience. That being stated, I've read a ton of reviews and such, and it's the general consensus that the American BB Creams are nothing like the Asian ones. So, w/ the idea of "one step fits all makeup AND skincare", the American ones just aren't up to par.

So I will be reviewing this product like I would a foundation. NOT as a tinted moisturizer, because the Asian BB Creams are supposed to have pretty decent coverage and be your primer, foundation, and concealer, along w/ your skincare. I might compare the American brands to each other, but I'm not going to review these things on the basis of being a good BB Cream or not because I simply do not know.

Long bloody introduction aside, let's get this review on the road!






This product makes some LOFTY claims. According to L'Oréal:

Meet the Magic all-in-one Skin Beautifier for a perfect natural finish. This multi-tasking beautifying cream delivers multiple beautifying actions: hydrates, corrects, evens, and protects. It's ultra lightweight and blends in seamlessly for a perfect natural finish. Available in 4 skin-transforming shades.

This multi-tasking cream micro-infuses skin with continuous and complete care. Offers 24-hour hydration and skin-nourishing antioxidant vitamin E. Micro-encapsulated pigments self-adjust to skin to unify skin tone and blend invisibly."

Okay, first off, I would like to talk about one-step face products. I find that most foundations are not one-step. It's pretty difficult for them to be, because of all the different skin types. For example, people w/ oily skin VS. people w/ dry skin - each have incredibly different needs. Also, the level of coverage a product provides will be different for everyone! I have combination skin...I get pretty oily in certain areas, but I also get really dry. There aren't many products that look great all-over on my skin.

Also, I don't like a super heavy coverage. I don't have a ton of stuff to cover up on my face as a whole and I tend to not wear face products on a regular basis anyway, so light to medium coverage is preferred overall. I just want something to even out my skin tone, but I still fully expect to have to use concealer in problem areas like under my eyes.

That being said, this product has a pretty light coverage. Almost to the point of being non-existent. I didn't notice any overall brightening or evening effects on my skin.

Claim #1: Hydrates



To call this a hydrating product is crazy. It may contain products like vitamin e, but I noticed no super hydrating effects. Other American BB Creams, such as the Garnier one or the Smashbox one, feel moisturizing as they apply and blend. This one, not so much. It has a thin consistency. It's not overwhelmingly oily-feeling as it goes on, but it's certainly not hydrating feeling.

Also, as this wears, it starts to feel somewhat uncomfortable. Not a tightening or drying feeling, but just...it doesn't wear well on my skin, so I wouldn't suggest this for those folks w/ oily skin. But I can't really say this would be great for dry skin either.

Claim #2: Corrects



The big problem w/ this particular product is that it's basically packaged as one-stop shopping for everyone. Which, like I mentioned earlier, just cannot be the case. The coverage w/ this product is extremely light. It's certainly not going to cover up any problem areas. If you have blemishes or dark spots or dark undereye circles, this isn't going to help w/ those. So, if you're looking for a product that will allow you to skip concealer and powder, this isn't going to be your thing.

I just want to say that I think skin matching technology is a load of fuck. I think that most skin matching products tend to be super lightweight...because if they had a decent level of coverage, the fact that they don't actually match your skin coloring would become noticeably obvious!

This is similar to the Almay foundation - it starts off white and has little beads of color that, as you blend, burst and begin to "match" to your skin color. I'm sorry, but they don't have any color changing properties out on the market yet; if you have cool undertones or warm undertones, this isn't going to adjust to become blue-based or yellow-based on you. Another reason for the super light coverage.

This shade matches me okay. It doesn't look PERFECT, but because it's nearly non-existent, I cannot really complain. That being said, plenty of people have noted that this stuff was a horrible match for them! It only comes in four shades, so it's not like you have a huge selection to begin w/. Also, some people have mentioned that the beads in this product actually irritated or hurt their skin. I regularly exfoliate w/ a pretty harsh scrub, so I didn't really notice, but if you have sensitive skin, you might want to be wary.

Claim #3: Evens



This claim is probably the only claim that I can, sort of, agree w/. I don't have huge problem areas, so this did an okay job at helping to mask some of the redness on my face. But if you have definite skin tone issues, this isn't going to do jack. The coverage is just too light to really be beneficial. This would be great for people who don't have a lot of skin issues whatsoever and probably normal skin types.

It makes my skin look bright, but not in an illuminating sense or in a brightening sense. No, this makes my skin look bright and dewy because the finish is very...dewy, haha. I MOST DECIDEDLY have to powder this. The day I went w/o powder was a sad day for my face. Especially considering I was actually out and about. I would also like to point out that I got the best wear when I used a primer underneath and set this w/ a powder.

Considering this is supposed to an all-inclusive product, I don't think it's that great when you have to use primer, concealer, and powder to get a desired effect!

Claim #4: Protects



This does not contain any SPF. It says it contains vitamins c & e, and it DOES contain glycerin, which is a humectant (meaning that it helps your skin retain moisture) and isododecane, which is an emollient (meaning that it helps sooth and soften skin) so you would think that, all things considered, this would do a decent enough job at protecting.

But I honestly don't see much of a difference in my skin. It states it has all-day or 24 hour moisture and that is a load of shit. I will say that not having an SPF makes me skeptical as to just how protecting this product can be.

Now, according to the actual packaging:

INNOVATION: Discover our 1st Magic B.B. Cream w/ Beautifying Beads: encapsulated pigments infused in an ultra-light lotion with antioxidants Vitamin C & E.

4 BEAUTIFYING ACTIONS IN 1

  • PRIMES to smooth skin's texture
  • PERFECTS to hide imperfections
  • HYDRATES for all day moisture
  • CORRECTS skin for a healthy looking, even complexion

Instantly transforms to your perfect shade for a flawless bare skin finish. Over time, more beautiful skin."

Basically, this product doesn't live up to its claims. And, honestly, it doesn't wear well. This broke down on my face around the two hour marker, w/o fail. The only difference in the effect was that when I powdered, it still looked somewhat even. But w/o powder, it was a gross, shiny, patchy mess.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who doesn't already have decent skin, which is stupid because if you already have decent skin, why would you want to be using a beautifier!? People w/ not-so-great skin are the ones who want to benefit! Overall, this product was a massive miss for me.





BARE SKIN


I used my normal witch hazel to tone and then used some boscia Oil-free Daily Hydration SPF 15 (Review here) on my face.





FULL FACE


I skipped primer, but I did use Benefit's Erase Paste in "No. 2" under my eyes and on red spots. I used MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in "Medium" to set and then just used my beloved NARS duo in "Orgasm/Laguna" for blush and contour. I took this picture RIGHT after I finished this.



 

Followers

Blogger news

Follow Girl, Uninterrupted

Most Reading